In April 2020, we announced a partnership with DHIT (the Digital Health Institute for Transformation) to launch the program, COVID-19 Unites Us all. This biweekly webinar series featured panels of thought leaders in digital health, as well as a Virtual Incubator. Participants could submit ideas, review current challenges, comment on others’ ideas, and win resources to advance their proposal!
|5/15||Technologies for Remote Care||Dr. Ben Calhoun – ASSIST Thrust Leader, Low-power Systems-on-Chip|
Dr. Michael Daniele – ASSIST Faculty, Low-power Biochemical Sensing
Dr. Jess Jur – ASSIST Faculty, Testbed Wearability & User Experience Leader
Dr. Mehmet Ozturk – ASSIST Deputy Director, Energy Harvesting
|5/29||Respiratory Monitoring||Dr. Alper Bozkurt – ASSIST HET Testbed Leader|
Stephen LeBoeuf – Valencell (ASSIST industry member)
Dr. Geoffrey Ginsburg – Duke University School of Medicine
|6/12||Vigilant Cardiac Monitoring||Dr. Bryon Boulton (MakeMed)|
Marc Saab (BML Technology)
Dr. James Dieffenderfer (ASSIST)
|6/26||Biochemical Sensing||Dr. Stanko Skrtic (AstraZeneca)|
Murat Yokus (BioInterface Lab/ASSIST)
Dr. Karen Leitner (Telado Health)
|7/10||Big Data and Determinants of Health||Dr. Gul Ege (SAS)|
Dr. Eric Eskioglu (Novant Health)
Brian Carter (Validic)
|7/24||Progressing Toward Adoption||Chris Lamb (Device Solutions)|
John Sotomayor (Soto IP)
Dr. Michael Ruhlen (Charlotte AHEC)
|8/7||Progressing Toward Adoption||Krista Covey (First Flight Venture Center)|
Rachel Newberry (RioT)
David Heenan (Cone Health Ventures)
What’s this virtual incubator? It’s a crowd-sourcing platform to foster idea development. Access it right now at dhit.crowdicity.com to submit your ideas, review current challenges, comment on others’ ideas, and potentially win resources to advance your proposal! We’ve created this promotional video to better explain our initiative.
Virtual Incubator Winners
After judges reviewed a cohort of competitive and impressive submissions, DHIT and ASSIST are pleased to announce the winners of its program and innovation awards:
- Team DermiSense has won a grand prize of $5,000 (awarded by Pfizer Digital) for its exceptional proposal using zero power test strips for biofluid extraction. In addition, the team will also receive clinical mentorship from the Charlotte AHEC and an opportunity to pilot its innovation through Cone Health Ventures.
- For its proposal for AI-driven facial recognition to detect signs of illness, Team HbLiVe will receive product design consulting from Device Solutions, intellectual property strategic consulting from SotoIP, and an opportunity to pilot its innovation through Cone Health Ventures. Finally, they have also won entry as a finalist for the RioT Accelerator Program.
- Team iReflexion will have the opportunity to collaborate with ASSIST on its wearable to measure stress through heart rate variability. They will also receive clinical mentorship from Charlotte AHEC.
- Team FASTR will receive a free membership to First Flight Venture Center’s Hangar6 for tools to generate its first prototype.
- Team etectRx has won entry as a finalist for the RioT Accelerator Program for its digital pill for reliable remote ingestion monitoring.
- One last team also won entry as a finalist for the RioT Acclerator Program for a wearable solution to monitor real-time social distancing.
Please click here to access the official press release.